20+ big stats you need to know about the UK Green Building Council (GBC) Report:
We’ve had a quick look at the UK GBC Report to extract some tasty tidbits to share with you below:
Of the operational emissions from the built environment, 69% was heating buildings in 2015 which was 10% of UK carbon emissions – as most of the energy for heating buildings comes from carbon intensive sources.
67% of total electricity supply in the UK in 2016 was consumed in buildings; 53% of energy used in buildings is from electricity.
59% of total UK waste was generated from construction, demolition & excavation2006/7 13billion litres of mains water was used in construction.
60% of European office space is not used, even in working hours
47% of land in greater London is green space:
- 24% domestic gardens
- 22% greenbelt
- 18% parks & open spaces
- 19% nature conservations
Recreation space in London in 2015
- 995 hectares of allotments, community gardens and city farms; 0.6% of total space in central London
- 10,700 hectares of outdoor sports facilities; 6.7% of total space
- 28,519 hectares of parkland, 17.79% total space
14% tree cover in London from a total 8.4 million trees
- £260k saved on energy bills from shading buildings each year
- 2.4Mt carbon saved each year
- 2,200 tonnes of pollution removed each year
- 3.4million litres of stormwater absorbed each year
570,000 hours lost to workplace absences linked to poor building design in UK. 30.7% of people don’t believe that the design of their workplace enables them to work productively.
For more information straight from UKGBC, please visit https://www.ukgbc.org/ukgbc-work/state-sustainability-built-environment/
Content Coms is one of the UK’s leading B2B communications consultancies specialising in the buildings, energy, and technology sectors. If you’ve enjoyed our article, how about reading more of our news and analysis?