5 essential stats about the UK environment
Today is World Environment Day, an annual event that aims to be the biggest and most widely celebrated global day for positive environmental action.
The Office for National Statistics has pulled together a range of UK data to show the contribution the environment makes to the economy, the impact the economy has on the environment and some steps being taken to respond to environmental issues.
1. Natural capital was worth £1.6 trillion in 2011
2. Urban areas make up 11.6% of the UK
3. UK greenhouse gas emissions 23.6% lower in 2013 compared to 1990
4. The UK recycling rate of ‘waste from households’ reached 43.9% in 2012
5. Environmental taxes raised 7.5% of total UK revenue from taxes and social contributions in 2012